Monday, January 9, 2012

The French 75 Cocktail

The French 75 Cocktail. That sounds like fun! And French is in the title...... I am, an unapologetic, Francophile. There. I said it. Doug teases me about it and I say, “No, I’m not!” ……but it’s true. Right, where was I?

This drink was reportedly created in 1915 at the New York Bar in Paris. The mixture of gin and champagne gave such a kick that it was like being shelled by a French 75mm field gun, which is also called a “75 Cocktail” The drink's recipe was first recorded in The Savoy Cocktail Book in 1930.


Photo Credit

I had to find a photo (and of course give credit) because my photos of OUR French 75 Cocktails have disappeared. I added extra cherry to mine :-)

Simple delicious ingredients.......

2 oz. Gin (Vodka for me)
2 oz. lemon juice
2 tsp. (more or less) simple syrup
Champagne

Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake until your hand hurts from the cold. Pour into Collins glass and top with champagne.

You can make this with gin or vodka. I am a confirmed vodka girl but my man loves his gin. David Embury, author of The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks, states “Gin is sometimes used in place of cognac in this drink, but then, of course, it no longer should be called French.” Hmmmmmmmm……I would be game to try this with cognac.



For more info on the Soixante Quinze (French 75) and some cool cocktail links please chest out Oh Gosh Here


Cheers and please sir......... may I have another!

6 comments:

Le laquet said...

But - the French love their gin ... even un-mixed gin/vermouth cocktails (not willing to call it a martini when it's just sloshed in the glass with no nice/olive/shaking). But then they also drink neat whisky as an aperitif!

Le laquet said...

p.s. I'd be all over the gin/cognac versions of this like a car bonnet!

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Oh my! This does look addictive!
Of course here in Canada we are no strangers to French culture. And I would be doubly happy for a French cocktail!

Kim said...

Extra cherries in mine too :)

Pierce said...

Sadly....we are now out of champagne...I really enjoyed this one.

~~louise~~ said...

Classic...Oh how I would love to have copy of The Savoy Cocktail Book.

Thanks for sharing, Tina...

P.S. Is the 16th the day Prohibition went into effect. I better go check my calendar, lol...