Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mojitos

Here in the Deep South the days are already hot and sticky followed by sultry evenings. Just the kind of weather that makes a body crave a refreshing cocktail.



Nothing too heavy, but a cocktail that will go well with that nice fish filet that you are grilling in the backyard. In my opinion, nothing fits the bill like a nice cool Mojito! The Mojito has all of the elements of a classic cocktail; liquor, something sweet, and a mixer. And did I mention minty too?

What you will need to make a mojito:

7 or 8 mint leaves
1 1/2 oz simple syrup (we use 1:1 sugar to water)
1/2 lime, cut into two wedges
2 oz of white rum (3 oz is even better!)
Club soda

Tear the mint leaves in half and drop into a highball glass, then use your muddler to crush slightly to begin releasing the mint oils. Add the simple syrup and muddle until the mint leaves are crushed.

Squeeze the two lime wedges into the glass, and drop one of the hulls into the glass and muddle again just enough to squeeze out the last bit of juice. Fill the glass with ice (we use a combo of cubes and crushed), then add the rum. Top off the glass with club soda and stir.

Here is the problem with mojitos; they are so tasty and refreshing, that you may find yourself quaffing them instead of sipping.

Before you know it, good judgement is begging your acquaintance as you consider having yet a fourth drink. And we did......have that fourth drink. I didn't see my friend good judgement before I went to bed. Probably sleeping it off...



Be careful, they have a way of sneaking up on you!

4 comments:

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

I love it! 4x 3 oz drinks - you are my sort of gal!
We have a bumper crop of mint right now, these would be perfect.

Brenda said...

I'm glad I was witness to all this booze and fun on Facebook last night. :o) I was actually joining you here in Toronto, but with boring old wine.....

Pierce said...

We just bought lots of mint and are planting this afternoon. Yesterday was a chill out day...so hot. And my head was...fuzzy :-)
Also.. I should never Facebook after drinking. Oh my!

girlichef said...

LOL, I wish I'd been around for that ;) I crave Mojitos in the dog days of summer...probably not a great idea, huh? But yeah, totally seems like it when it's going on ;P These look great, Tina.