Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Manhattans!

From the Squirrel Head Manor cocktail enthusiasts ……..we celebrate Manhattans!




“For if we don't find the next whisky bar, I tell you we must die” – From “Alabama Song” by Kurt Weill and Bertolt Brecht

Upon being invited to Cocktail Puppy, the above song immediately sprang to mind! Here at Squirrel Head Manor we tend to sip wine, drink beer and enjoy the occasional whiskey on the rocks. Always being the adventurous types, however, we jumped at the chance to add cocktails to our repertoire of alcoholic pleasures.

OK, maybe not all that adventurous, because our first thoughts were of “old man drinks” without too many ingredients. You know, those old school cocktails that evoke responses of “Oh, I think my grandfather likes those!”

Night one we decided to make Manhattans. This was for two reasons; we like whiskey, and we had some rye and Vermouth on hand. OK, three reasons; when served straight up, they are served in the classiest of glassware, the cocktail glass; aka the Martini glass.

Traditionally, Manhattans are made with rye whiskey. We had a bottle of Old Overholt, jokingly called Old Overcoat in some circles, but Manhattans can also be made with any whiskey that you please.

We used..........

2 oz Rye
1 oz Sweet Vermouth
2 to 3 dashes of Angostura Bitters (or to taste)
1 or 2 Maraschino Cherries

Put ice cubes in a mixing glass, add the Rye and Vermouth and stir a few times (purists never shake a Manhattan ). Strain into chilled cocktail glasses and garnish with the cherries. For a treat, tip about a teaspoon of the cherry juice from the jar into the mixing glass before stirring.

Goes well with tapenade........



I think we'd like to buy/build a proper bar.........



Bottoms up!

4 comments:

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Old man drinks - they are Charles' favourite! Love the Manhattan. So glad to be drinking together!
Yep - need a proper bar - put it on the Honey-do list! ☺

girlichef said...

I love the Doors cover of that song =) And I love me some whiskey. I don't know that I've ever had a Manhattan. I think I need one ;)

Kim said...

Whew! It's been forever since I've been by here to comment. I definitely need more down time to enjoy a good cocktail like this. It's good to see you mixing up cocktails, Tina! I love a good Manhattan:)

Pierce said...

We enjoyed making and drinking these bad boys! Doug is on an old man drink kick so...I will have more coming up. :-)