Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Bitty's Bloody Marys

Alright. I have heard that you have resolved to eat healthier this year. Good for you. I'm here to support you in any way possible. Like maybe a cocktail with nice, healthy tomato juice in it? 

I've seen your cupboards, I know you have tomato juice or vegetable juice just lurking in there from that time you told yourself you were going to start bringing it in to work instead of Diet Coke. 

Yep, that's the stuff. Now dust it off, I am sure those best before dates can be ignored, and make yourself a Bloody Mary! Tomato juice is disgusting. Tomato juice with vodka and heavy seasoning is delicious. And healthy. You know, for a cocktail. 

Bloody Mary
adapted from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything
makes 4 servings

3 cups tomato juice (I used a combo of veggie cocktail and tomato juice)
¾ cup vodka
Several drops Tabasco or other hot sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, or to taste
1 tsp prepared hot horseradish, or to taste
Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
1 lemon, quartered
Celery stalks, for garnish

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a pitcher, adjust seasonings to taste. (Me, I doubled them. That's just the way I roll.)

Fill four tall glasses with ice and add the liquid. Squeeze in the lemon and drop the lemon carcass right into the glass. Garnish and serve. 


For Tackling Bittman, this month hosted by Girlichef.

2 comments:

girlichef said...

Ha ha ha ha!! I wonder how many people have actually done that...my guess is- ALOT! I would love to wipe the sleep from my eyes and wake up with one of these beauties this morning. Thanks for Tackling Bittman with me this month, N :)

Kim said...

Bloody Marys are the new breakfast smoothie, right? Part of a healthy breakfast for sure.

These look beautiful!