Saturday, December 11, 2010

Pam's Cranberry Liqueur!

After such great response from Pam's Orange Liqueur, we decided to run her Cranberry Liqueur. Perfect for this time of year!

From Sidewalk Shoes:

Cranberry Liqueur
Please place this recipe in the better-late-than-never category.  Why?  Because I first came across this recipe in the Cooking Light Recipes Annual from 2004.  It was the very last recipe of the book. I remember showing it to my husband and insisting that he run out and buy some vodka.  Then, I’m not quite sure what happened.  Fast forward five years, I’m glancing through the book again, and there it is.  I insist my husband run out and buy some vodka and this time, I stand in the kitchen waiting for him, cranberries in hand. 




Cranberry Liqueur
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 12-ounce package of fresh cranberries (or one of the 8 or so you have in your freezer)
  • 3 cups vodka
Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and over medium heat cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until sugar dissolves.  Remove from heat and cool completely.

Place cranberries in food processor and process for about 2 minutes or until finely chopped. Combine the sugar mixture, cranberries, and vodka in a large bowl.  Pour into clean jars with lids and let sit in a cool, dark place for 3 weeks, shaking every other day (or whenever you remember).

Strain through a cheesecloth lined sieve into a bowl and discard solids.  Pour into clean jars or bottles, and sit back and admire!

Note: Liqueur can be stored refrigerated or at room temperature for a year.

SERVING SUGGESTION – Cranberry Cosmopolitan – Place crushed ice in a cocktail shaker.  Add 1/2 cup cranberry liqueur, 1/4 cup Cointreau, and 2 tablespoons lime juice; strain into martini glasses.  Yields 2 cocktails.

9 comments:

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

The colour alone is absolutely gorgeous!

Danielle said...

It really is pretty! I bet it would be good with pomegranates too

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

You're right! Poms would be really tasty too. Great idea!

girlichef said...

Oh, another awesome infusion, Pam! How did you know what was in my freezer, btw!? ;) And yes...very pretty!

Kim said...

This would make for some beautiful homemade Christmas presents!

Such a pretty color.

Pam said...

I will have a follow up to this on my blog this week! I can not say enough good things about this!

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

We are so excited to be drinking with you, Pam! xoxo

girlichef said...

I'll toast to that! Welcome, Pam :)

Danielle said...

Oooh...how exciting!! Welcome aboard Pam! Cheers!!! :)