Saturday, November 20, 2010

Not Just Another Rum and Coke

It's true, we are tired at the end of the day, and although we might have spent a good part of it making a fan-freaking-tabulous meal, everything made from scratch - no, not just from scratch but home grown and lovingly crafted... when it's time for a drink we go for the tried and true and... easy. Open a bottle of wine, a beer, or even go as far as a rum and coke.

Fine. I get it. I do it too. A lot. I look at the pretty bottles on my bar and then grab a beer.

Those bottles, they don't even complain. They just keep showing their pretty faces, making my bar look very.. bar-ish, and wait til next time.

But I'm not just mixing for myself here - today I am mixing for a friend in need. A friend who wants to try new things but keeps going back to her rum and cokes. So - why not tart up the rum and coke? Not with anything as exhausting as slicing a lime, but by using coconut rum and hey, maybe a splash of Crème de Banane. True, you do have to twist a second top, but think of the muscles you will build.

So, for my friend, awesome chica that she is, I made a California Monkey. Try it at home!

California Monkey
from 10,000 Drinks by Paul Knorr
(2 down and 9,998 to go)

1½ parts Coconut-Flavoured Rum
½ part Crème de Banane

Cola

Fill a Collins glass with ice and build drink, stir.

I garnished them with suns as I figure it is always sunny in California. Unlike Canada in late November, which is dark by 4:30pm. Sigh. Another drink?

4 comments:

Shelby said...

This is absolutely awesome! I am definitly going to try this!

Kim said...

Delicious! This drink blows the socks off of a regular old rum and coke.

Love the cocktail stirrers.

girlichef said...

AWWWW! You da best ;) I WISH I had the stuff to make these...they sound amazing. I love the stirrers, too...this monkey want a banana ;) Last night I drank rum and fizzy lemonade...still kinda boring, but... Ha!!

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

They are tasty! Everyone needs a california monkey! ☺