Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bye Bye Bitty. A Manhattan for our New Yorker!

Dear Bitty, I feel I can call you Bitty after cooking with you these last six months, thank you so much for all that you have taught me. Your range and palate are commendable, as is your commitment to simplicity and sustainability. I have loved getting to know you better, and will continue to cook from your books on a regular basis.
So, my favourite minimalist, cheers to you. I made you a Manhattan.

Manhattan
adapted from How to Cook Everything Mark Bittman
Serves 4

6 oz rye or blended whiskey
3 oz sweet vermouth
1 dash bitters, or to taste
4 maraschino cherries, for garnish

Combine the liquids in a shaker or pitcher with plenty of ice and shake or stir to combine and chill. Strain into glasses, garnish and serve. (Or serve on the rocks, as I did)

For a Rob Roy, substitute Scotch for the whiskey or rye.


Here's a video of Bitty talking about his cocktail theory. 
Booze + Sweet + Sour = Cocktail. He's not called the Minimalist for nothing.


IHCC

5 comments:

Kim said...

This is a fantastic tribute to Bittman! He definitely does have a terrific range of recipes, something for every palate. Great way to wrap up the past six months.

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Thanks Kim! Charles really enjoyed coming home to a Manhattan, I think it is his new favourite cocktail. Very Mad Men. ;-)

Yvette said...

Cheers! To six wonderful months with Bittman..

Debinhawaii said...

A very nice tribute to Bittman. (still can't call him Bitty myself but go wild!) Have one for me. ;-)

Couscous & Consciousness said...

The perfect finale Natashya - wish I could drop in for one myself!
Sue :-)