Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Honey, I'm Home! A Pick-me-up Cocktail

My husband has been typecast. For each holiday he receives coffee and coffee-related gifts. This delights him to no end as he is serious about coffee. Getting up each morning to grind the dark, glossy beans for espresso, he then calibrates each cup to dark, steamy perfection. He has even flirted with the idea of roasting his own beans, but hasn't gone that far yet.
What he does have now is a groovy ice cube tray that is shaped like coffee beans. A present from our daughter, these are perfect for coffee-based cocktails as when they melt they add more great espresso flavour, instead of water. Perfect! You can, of course, freeze coffee or espresso in any ice cube trays, but the bean shaped ones are cool, no?
So, in honour of his groovy new cubes, I made my hard-working commuter an espresso cocktail for when he got home. I am very June Cleaver that way.

Pick-me-up Cocktail

2 oz espresso vodka (I used Three Olives brand Triple Shot Espresso)
1 oz vanilla vodka
1 oz white crème de cacao

Shake with ice and strain into a martini glass with a maraschino cherry on the bottom. Add 2 espresso ice cubes.
Watch as his stress fades away and he slowly wakes up.
Bask in the accolades.


4 comments:

Kim said...

Coffee bean ice cubes - so cute! Nothing wrong with being like June Cleaver. A happy man makes for a happy home!

theUngourmet said...

Wow, I didn't know there was an expresso vodka. What a cocktail! I'd love to give this one a try!

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Kim - a matter of self preservation too - hand him a cocktail before he gets into talking about the traffic!

Ungourmet - I think there is every kind of vodka now! But you could always infuse some beans in vodka for a week or two to make your own, and add a little simple syrup if you would like it sweeter.

Cheers, gals! xo

Kate said...

I didn't realize that there was an expresso vodka! Wow! Love your blog...it is totally fun!